Monday, July 18, 2011

HOLY F#*&

So I leave today. It hasn't sunk in yet that in 6 hours I'll be on my way to South America, and I don't think it will until I board the flight to Lima, Peru.  It's really hard to explain the emotions that I feel right now.  After spending the weekend in Claremont, I've realized that I'm really going to miss being at Pomona next semester.  So there's a bit of sadness and hesitation, but those feeling are mostly overwhelmed by excitement about the experience I will have in a foreign country.  And I can't say I'm not nervous either.  The thought of introducing myself tomorrow afternoon, in Spanish, to my host family after a 13 hour flight is daunting.  For the first time in my life, I don't have any idea what to expect, because living outside the US is such a novel concept for which I have zero frame of reference.  Coming to college was a breeze compared to this! I know that my Spanish will improve immensely, that I'll make friends and fall in love with Buenos Aires, but right now those things seem quite distant and abstract.  So wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment